I personally love stripes, I’m a huge lover of the classic French sailor tee but I think a lot of women are afraid to wear stripes as they can sometimes be too loud and even unflattering - especially if they are vertical and wide apart! This horizontal stripe dress I’m wearing today is loud and the split also makes it a little sexy, but what is most flattering about it is the way that it is cut and sewn; the seams down the front create a slimming effect and ensure the dress hugs in just the right places, which is a major factor when looking to add stripes to your wardrobe. Stripes can really enhance your figure when worn right so here are a few tips:
6 quick horizontal stripes fashion tips to keep in mind
- Horizontal stripes are the more stylish of the stripe duo but can sometimes make you look a little more fuller figured
- Vertical stripes make you look taller, but if you are already tall they can be quite overpowering
- Keep them thin; whether horizontal or vertical, wide stripes can be really unflattering, this of course depends on the item of clothing but as a general rule, go thin.
- Avoid contrasting colours like red/green, yellow/purple and blue/orange
- You can mix different stripe patterns, this used to be a big no-no but I am all for it, contrasting patterns are becoming more popular but if you like to play it safe then stick to teaming your stripes with solid colours
- Stripes can make or break an outfit, so take a chance, the worst thing you can do is look in the mirror and decide to get changed
And remember, you don’t need to be a model to look like you’ve stepped off the runway - you just need a killer wardrobe.